add sense

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Granola Bars

My kids love granola bars. Usually I buy the Great Value high fiber bars for about $2.00 a box at Wal-Mart. Of course those are processed and full of bad-for-you things like high fructose corn syrup. I've made oatmeal bars before and they are usually hit or miss. I decided to try a new recipe for high fiber oatmeal bars today and YUM I really like these!! They take a little time but it's worth it. I made two batches - one for me with nuts and plain for the kids. I just hope my kids will eat them! If not, I'm sure I will. :-)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

ingredients:

  • 2 cups oats
  • 1 cup peanuts, crushed * I used 1/2 cup crushed almonds
  • 1/4 cup flax seed
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 4 Tbsp butter
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt (if your nuts are salted, you can use less salt or omit it)
  • approximately 8 oz. dried fruit * I used less ~ 1 small snack box of raisins ,1/2 cup Fiber One cereal, and a handful of chocolate chips
This is the kind of recipe that is very easily altered to your taste. You can use whatever nuts you like, sunflower seeds, cereal, dried fruit, coconut, or any other usual granola bar add ins.

Toast the oats and nuts in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In a sauce pan, combine the brown sugar, honey, butter,vanilla, and salt. Cook on medium heat stirring often until sugar is dissolved.

Mix the oats, flax seed, fruit, and/or cereal (and add ins of your choice) with the sugar mixture.

Place wax paper in the bottom of a 11x13 baking dish, or smaller if you want thicker bars. Spray with non stick spray. Spread the mixture in the pan, and press firmly into bottom of the pan using a sheet of wax paper on top so it doesn't stick to your hands.

Cool completely... and cut into bars.







1 comment:

  1. You have inspired me to make some granola again. I haven't made any in over a year. The problem is I do love it too much and I gain weight on breathing air. I'd better get to it before I lose all my teeth. I do love oats.

    ReplyDelete