add sense

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Mom's Bread Pudding

Like many things, Mom didn't really have a set recipe for bread pudding. It was just a little of this and a little of that. She knew just about how much of everything needed and that was that. This is sort of a guestimate she gave me once when I asked her how to make bread pudding.


2 cups of milk
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp butter
2 eggs
vanilla
7-9 slices stale bread

Heat milk, sugar, and butter until hot. I usually heat it until it is just about to boil. Remove from heat. Separate eggs, slightly beat yolks, set whites aside. Add a small amount of hot milk to the egg yolks so it won't curdle, then add to the milk mixture. Add vanilla - as much as you like. (1-2 tbsp)

Tear slices of stale bread to fill a medium sized baking dish. French bread or dinner rolls work great also. If you like raisins, stir them in. Pour milk over bread and let it sit for a few minutes. Place baking dish in another pan and fill that pan with water about half way up the side of the dish. This keeps the bread pudding from drying out. Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.

Beat the egg whites until stiff. Add a little sugar, spread on top bread pudding. Bake another 10 minutes until browned.

Sometimes it comes out perfect, sometimes not. Mom's was always great of course.











2 comments:

  1. Oh Boy!!! I love cooking blogs!!!!
    Gonna browse around!!! How about some Thanksgiving ideas?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness--is that a bread pudding with meringue on top?! I've never seen such a thing, but it's very intriguing! I think I'd still like a sweet sauce of some sort of pour over it, but this has really captured my imagination.

    ReplyDelete